08 November 2021
Working safely in wet weather
After weather warnings had been issued for the south of England with heavy rain, now’s a good time to familiarise yourself on working safely in wet weather.
Rain can cause slippery surfaces and limited visibility. However, steps can be taken to review risk assessments and mitigate the hazards.
- Move cautiously. Although wet weather might make you want to work faster to get out of the rain, this is dangerous. Work more slowly and deliberately – particularly when climbing ladders
- Use the correct equipment. Don’t use electrical tools that are not specifically made for outdoor use when working in rain. Select hand tools with textured, nonslip grip handles
- Wear appropriate clothing. Wear proper footwear with deep tread, trousers and a jacket suitable for working in wet weather
- Use proper hand protection. Ensure gloves feature a strong, slip-proof grip
- Ensure adequate vision. Make sure lighting is adequate and that the lights used are rated for outdoor use
- Make sure you can be seen. Wear high-visibility clothing in all areas
- Ensure that requirements of CDM 2015 are met
For more information, please visit our website (BSGltd.co.uk). If you have any questions please contact BuildingSafetyGroup@BSGltd.co.uk